King Street bars and restaurants ordered closed by Toronto Public Health

Grant Boone
September 28, 2020

The closures come after the Ford government announced bars and restaurants across Ontario must now shut down by midnight and stop serving alcohol by 11 p.m.in response to a rise in COVID-19 cases.

Ottawa Public Health reported 19 continuing outbreaks in health-care institutions in the city.

In a news release issued Saturday morning, the city says three restaurants on King Street are now closed after they failed to take "the necessary steps to sufficiently protect both the public and employees from the spread of COVID-19".

Doctor Eileen de Villa started off her daily briefing with a tally, a stark one compared to months past, coming in at 236 new infections across the city.

"Our investigation also found evidence that in some instances, people infected with COVID-19 were employed at more than 1 of the 4 locations", she said.

Frank Lampard issues warning to Chelsea FC players ahead of Tottenham clash
Chelsea were staring down the barrel of an unexpected defeat at The Hawthorns after an inept display of defending saw them 3-0 down inside 27 minutes.

TPH said that the order will be lifted when Dr.de Villa is satisfied that each establishment has complied.

"I hope this enforcement will ensure we are protecting employees and customers", he said.

Also on Saturday, the city issued an alert saying seven people who had been at the Yonge Street Warehouse, another restaurant, between September 10 and 17 had tested positive for COVID-19.

A spokesperson for Casa Mezcal said they could not comment on the order to close. Sunday's number is the highest single day numerical increase since April 24th, according to provincial statistics.

Five are staff and two were patrons, Toronto Public Health said. CTV News will have more information as it becomes available.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER