Meghan Markle highlights need for creating humane tech at virtual summit

Brenda Watkins
September 30, 2020

Meghan, wife of Queen Elizabeth's grandson Prince Harry, is suing publisher Associated Newspapers over articles the Mail on Sunday printed past year that included parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018.

While the reality series has been denied, a spokesperson for Netflix has confirmed Harry and Meghan are busy developing several projects.

Author Omid Scobie discusses Harry and Meghan and what his tell-all book reveals.

Master Francesca Kaye ruled on Tuesday that Associated Newspapers could use the book in its evidence, but said Markle's team was entitled to appeal her decision in the Court of Appeal.

The duchess, like just about everything these days, has been entangled in American politics as of late as some suggested her as a future USA presidential contender in a run against White House senior advisor, Ivanka Trump.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex issued a statement at the time of the book's publication in July to say they had not been interviewed "and did not contribute" to it.

Democrats unveil $2.2T updated pandemic relief package
The updated HEROES Act proposal includes funding for schools, small businesses, restaurants, and up to $25 billion for airlines. White House senior economic adviser Larry Kudlow panned Democrats' $2.2 trillion offer, calling it a "very big number".

However, her legal team has so far successfully resisted the paper's attempts to publish the names of five friends who gave anonymous interviews to the U.S. magazine People, with the court agreeing they can stay secret for the time being.

A full hearing in her lawsuit against Associated Newspapers is due to start in January.

Mr Rushbrook argued the "inherent improbability" of Meghan having co-operated with the authors of the biography was demonstrated by "simply comparing what the defendant's own articles said with what the book said about the letter" to her estranged father.

No, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will not be doing a reality TV show for Netflix.

The Duke and Duchess have made campaigning for reform of social media and other tech platforms one of their causes since they quit their senior royal roles and moved to California earlier this year, and then signed a mega deal last month with Netflix.

Nearly half of Britons believe the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should be "stripped" of their royal titles, a recent YouGov poll suggested.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER