SPAN Places Host Steve Scully on Leave After False Hacking Claims

Clay Curtis
October 16, 2020

"These were both errors in judgement for which I am totally responsible for", Scully said.

"I apologize", he said in the statement.

"These actions let down a lot of people, including my colleagues at C-SPAN, where I have worked for the past 30 years, professional colleagues in the media, and the team at the Commission on Presidential Debates", he said. "I ask for his or her forgiveness as I attempt to transfer ahead in a second of reflection and disappointment in myself".

President Trump touted Scully's ousting on Twitter. The Debate was Rigged!

C-SPAN journalist Steve Scully, who was to be the moderator of the debate in Miami - until it was called off - was suspended indefinitely after news of his actions were revealed, according to the congressional cable channel. The Trump Campaign was not treated fairly by the "Commission". Did I show good instincts in being the first to know?' the president wrote.

Scully, a veteran of Washington news circles, has been at C-SPAN for three decades.

Kanye West Releases Official Presidential Campaign Ad
Rapper Kanye West and Jared Kushner concocted a plan for West to run and hopefully pull votes away from Joe Biden . The image is from 18 based in Lexington, Kentucky but early votes are not counted until day on November 3, 2020.

Almost a week later, on Wednesday night, Scully admitted to C-SPAN and the commission that he did send the tweet.

"He understands that he made a mistake", the network said of Mr. Scully.

CPD later stated that "it had reported the apparent hack to the FBI and Twitter" as part of its investigation.

Mere minutes after The Associated Press broke the news about Scully's suspension, Trump tweeted, "I was right again!". In May 2012, he suggested he was hacked after tweeting about weight loss.

USA Today's Susan Page, who moderated the vice presidential debate, faced blowback beforehand for having hosted an off-the-record event honoring Trump appointees. The debate was canceled last week after Mr. Trump had tested positive for the coronavirus and refused to agree to a virtual debate. Biden subsequently withdrew from the debate and has since scheduled an ABC News town hall for the night that the debate was supposed to take place. The Trump campaign then booked a town hall on NBC to air at approximately the same time, a move for which NBC has been criticized. "Steve Scully did not originate the tweet and believes his account has been hacked", it read. He constructed the hacking story a week ago, after tweeting "should I respond to Trump" at former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci, now a committed anti-Trumper.

Trump pulled out of the October 15 presidential debate Scully had been scheduled to host earlier this month, after the commission announced that it would be conducted as a virtual event rather than in-person.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER