Coronavirus Victoria: Cases remain low ahead of announcement

Clay Curtis
October 18, 2020

"Yesterday, Premier Daniel Andrews said the mystery cases "remain a challenge" for Victoria".

But the Australian Department of Home Affairs says on its website that "quarantine-free travel from New Zealand will initially be to New South Wales and the Northern Territory only". "I have written to the prime minister this morning and we're disappointed this has happened".

"We still can't get the cards from Australian Border Force as to who these people are, and where they have gone", Andrews said.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said restrictions on gatherings and movement were an important part of limiting mystery cases and identifying where they come from.

The arrangements, however, are not yet reciprocal, with New Zealand requiring arrivals to be quarantined for two weeks under supervision at a cost of NZ$3,100 (S$2,780) for the first person and more for additional family members.

However, the incumbent Immigration Minister Alan Tudge announced shortly thereafter that the passenger cards had been handed over to Victoria.

A Kiwi man on one of the first Trans-Tasman travel bubble flights from Auckland to Sydney travelled on to Melbourne without any issues, while 17 others were stopped by officials.

"Here we are, already, before the end of the year, getting at least to some new point of normal when it comes to Covid-safe travel", he said.

Israeli parliament backs UAE normalisation deal
The Netanyahu government's settlement policy, he said in a statement , "will lead the region to the brink of the abyss". With 2,688 homes approved for final construction and 2,260 approved for earlier stages of planning.

She said there was a flurry of activity at the worldwide terminal, and people excited to be returning home or seeing family for the first time in many months.

"Something went wrong in this system, we shouldn't be part of it [travel bubble] Arrangement".

"Passengers planning to travel interstate beyond New South Wales will need to ensure they have checked state and territory travel restrictions and have the appropriate exemptions/approvals to travel as these continue to change", the statement said.

When asked if Victoria should consider closing its internal borders, Andrews said he did not want to.

Australia's prime minister described the arrival of the country's first global tourists in six months as a turning point.

Deputy Police Commissioner Rick Nugent said the passengers were in Melbourne and had no arrest warrants.

Victoria was not included in the travel bubble and Andrews said this current situation was never thought of.

Victoria's Department of Health and Human Services has hit out the Morrison government after 17 travellers from New Zealand entered NSW and transferred to Melbourne. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER