Ontario close to canceling non-essential surgeries again as coronavirus cases spike

Grant Boone
November 16, 2020

"We're not looking down the barrel at a lockdown", said Toronto-based physician epidemiologist Dr. Nitin Mohan. "This is why we are calling for urgent action within the sector, because we can not have this happen again, what we saw in the first wave".

Cases and deaths in long-term care homes continued to rise, the document shows. That means Ontario could, within weeks, have more cases per capita than France, Germany and Britain.

"People are having too much contact with each other", he said.

On Sunday, Public Health Ontario announced 1,248 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19, and 29 deaths linked to the virus. "At the end of the day, I stood here when we put this out with Dr. Williams and we went along with the framework and he approved it", Ford said in Hamilton on Thursday.

Toronto will move into the Red-Control level on Monday, as previously planned, while the other regions will enter their new restriction level on Monday.

"It's easy for people to say, shut everything down, when they're guaranteed a paycheck every week".

"It is with deep sadness that we share the news seven residents have passed away", a spokesperson for Sienna Living said in an e-mail to CP24.

Two more people in the nation's capital have died of COVID-19, according to Ottawa Public Health's (OPH) Sunday update.

"This framework relies on thresholds that will lead to increases in disease transmission in our communities and many otherwise preventable deaths", said Greer, "we need to hold the Ford government accountable for violating our trust as a province and for being intentionally non-transparent about their decision making".

Would James Harden, Russell Westbrook make any Heat sense — ASK IRA
With Harden, there is $41.3 million due this coming season, $44.3 due in 2021-22 and a player option for $47.4 million in 2022-23. Stick with NBA .com for more updates surrounding this developing situation, including potential trade destinations for Westbrook.

The majority of cases of COVID-19 since September have been among people under 60, but most deaths have been among the elderly.

In addition to calling for a 28-day lockdown in red zones, which include Ottawa, Grinspun said the province must immediately begin hiring and adding staff to long-term care homes so that they can provide the four-hours of hands-on care for residents that has always been recommended.

Ottawa Public Health reported 78 new cases Saturday, compared to 41 cases the day before.

The province announced it would do so, but there was no funding for the effort in the just-released budget.

Caputo said the government has moved to supply facilities with personal protective equipment and additional staff support.

Stall said the notion embraced by the province that you can shield long-term care residents while allowing many businesses and services to remain open is proven not to work.

There was one new outbreak in a health-care institution and five new outbreaks at childcares or schools.

"The hardest thing to watch is the complacency to what is going on in long-term care homes".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER