No school closures after Christmas holiday break, says Ontario education minister

Grant Boone
November 20, 2020

There are now 12,623 active cases of novel coronavirus infection in Ontario, down five cases from yesterday.

"We have consulted with the Chief Medical Officer of Health as well as the Public Health Measures Table and have determined that an extended winter holiday is not necessary at this time, given Ontario's strong safety protocols, low level of transmission and safety within our schools", Lecce said.

Lecce stressed that Ontario schools have been "remarkably successful at minimizing outbreaks" during a second wave of the virus that's seen record-breaking daily counts, most notably in Toronto and Peel Region.

"Our focus remains protecting the progress we have made in our schools this fall as we look to and plan for the new year, so that students can continue to go to school each and every day", said Lecce, in his Wednesday statement.

Meanwhile, the Ontario Hospital Association says the province has hit the critical mark of 150 COVID-19 patients in its intensive care units.

The province said 26 of the new deaths reported Wednesday are in long-term care homes.

Ford says he expects to announce the new restrictions for Toronto, Peel, and York Region tomorrow.

Google updates Google Pay app, previews Plex bank accounts
Users in both of these nations have always been waiting for Google Pay to arrive, but the app hasn't had a presence there so far. At the start of the week, for example, Pay will show things like "here's what you spent on this weekend, ' Woodward said".

The news comes as Premier Doug Ford and his cabinet are poised to consider new measures, including lockdowns, for the province's COVID-19 hot spots.

The exception is Public Health Sudbury and District, which is in the yellow (protect) restriction level.

Etches said schools have multiple layers of protection against COVID-19.

There have now been more than 98,000 infections confirmed in Ontario since the pandemic began, and 3,415 lives lost to the disease.

York Region has increased from 143 cases to 168, and Ottawa has more than doubled with 77 new cases.

The number of people in ICUs fell by 4 to 142, but the number of people breathing with the help of a ventilator rose by 4 to 92. The deaths reported in today's update include one person between the age of 60 and 79 years old, and seven people over the age of 80 years old.

"CUPE Ontario's 280,000 members mourn the loss of our sister, a CUPE education worker at who passed away after contracting COVID-19". The last case was reported November 15.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER