Angry Officials: State's Lockdown Was Based on a Lie

Grant Boone
November 21, 2020

But the order would have been avoided if a man had told health officials he had worked "several" shifts at a pizza shop, authorities said.

It is unlikely the man will face charges, police said.

People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others.

Authorities assumed that the man, who was not named, had contracted the virus within a very short exposure period, leading them to believe the strain must be highly contagious.

"That clearly changes the circumstances and had this person been truthful to the contact tracing teams, we would not have gone into a 6-day lockdown", said Premier Steven Marshall.

"This is the one element that pushed us from the level of restrictions we were implementing on Tuesday to a much harsher regime".

But he defended the initial lockdown based on the information known at the time.

"We know everybody will be disappointed about this".

"One of the close contacts linked to the Woodville Pizza Bar deliberately misled the contact tracing team", Marshall said. "There is simply no mechanism for us to actually take any further action", Stevens said.

Mr Marshall rejected suggestions he had been "too hard" on the pizza shop worker in his comments on Friday.

"This next week for us is critical in our state", Prof Spurrier said.

"There has to be consequences. we do not want this behaviour". The residents are also not allowed to step out for their daily exercises or for even walking their pets.

Saints place Brees on injured reserve
They backed up that belief by signing him to a two-year, $21 million contract extension as a restricted free agent this offseason. Hill reportedly took all the starter reps at practice this week instead of Jameis Winston , who stepped in for Brees last week.

Police outside the Woodville Pizza Bar after it was announced the a worker from the shop lied to authorities during a Covid investigation, causing South Australia to go into lock down on November 20, 2020 in Adelaide, Australia.

The state's Chief Public Health Officer, Nicola Spurrier, today revealed a detailed explanation of how the state's outbreak began, heaping praise on the young doctor for her clear thinking and describing her as a "heroine".

"So it's definitely linked to the Parafield cluster".

The number of new cases in the state is still expected to rise during the next few days.

She added she expects to see more cases come from the cluster. It marks a full two-week incubation period without community spread of the virus.

"This was ... way earlier than people clicked to things in Victoria, earlier than the Crossroads Hotel cluster and the subsequent seeding in NSW", she said.

"The second outcome of that lie is this person has numerous associates, persons of interest that we are now trying to identify and locate that we would not have had to do so had they been truthful from the beginning", he said.

Premier Steven Marshall has warned the state is "not out of the woods yet".

"I stress this point, that this is still a very unsafe cluster and our expert healths remain extremely concerned".

Meanwhile, outdoor exercise is allowed "effective immediately" (any you can exercise with people in your household).

South Australia will revert to a series of similar restrictions imposed at the beginning of the week from midnight on Saturday.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER