Bach says 'no Plan B' for Tokyo Olympics: Kyodo

Tanya Simon
January 22, 2021

Though much of Japan is under a state of emergency due to a third wave of COVID-19 infections, Tokyo Olympic organisers have vowed to press ahead with the re-scheduled Games, which are due to open on July 23 after being postponed for a year because of the coronavirus.

Though much of Japan is under a state of emergency due to a third wave of COVID-19 infections, Tokyo organisers have consistently vowed to press ahead with the Games scheduled to open on July 23 after having been postponed in March previous year.

Official information regarding the Games will be communicated through the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee.

International Olympic Committee (IOC) officials were on Friday trying to allay concerns over a potential cancellation of the Games, which were due to be held in 2021 after Covid-19 rescheduled them from a year ago.

"We have at this moment, no reason whatsoever to believe that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will not open on the 23rd of July", Bach told Kyodo News.

This year's Tokyo Olympics are in danger of being cancelled, according to reports.

"The AOC, Federal Government, Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council are continuing to progress the candidature for the Olympic Games to be held in Queensland in 2032 - and that process continues", they said in a statement.

Google investigates ethical AI team member into handling sensitive data
The researcher and her colleagues claimed she had been fired , while Google executives said they accepted her offer to resign. The firm said she had downloaded and shared thousands of sensitive documents with external accounts.

"No one wants to be the first to say so but the consensus is that it's too hard", The Times quoted the source as saying.

The Times cited a "senior member of the ruling coalition" in its report on Thursday as saying that the government is trying to find a way to make the announcement that still leaves the possibility of hosting the games at a later date. "Take them there safely, give them the best opportunities for success, and then bring them safely back home to Australia where we can celebrate the games".

Former London 2012 deputy chairman Keith Mills this week said he thought the Games looked "unlikely" to happen, while British Olympics legend Matthew Pinsent said it was "ludicrous" to go ahead. "There is an enormous effort going into the re-planning of the Games", he added.

"We continue in our preparation to participate at Tokyo 2020 with a focus on the health and safety of our athletes, their families, and their communities".

It follows a recent opinion poll showing 80 per cent of people in Japan did not want the games to go ahead in July as planned amid fears athletes could spread the virus further. The death toll from the respiratory disease stands at almost 4,900 people in Japan.

They are pushing ahead with a raft of coronavirus countermeasures meant to ensure a safe Games, even without vaccines which remain non-mandatory for athletes.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER