Detained Aung San Suu Kyi remanded to Wednesday

Daniel Fowler
February 16, 2021

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Myanmar's military and police to make sure the right to peaceful assembly was respected and demonstrators were not subjected to reprisals.

UN Special Envoy Christine Schraner Burgener spoke to the deputy head of the junta on Monday in what has become a rare channel of communication between the army and the outside world, urging restraint and the restoration of communications.

The U.S. Embassy in Yangon on Sunday tweeted an advisory to U.S. citizens to "shelter in place" during the 8 p.m. -4 a.m. curfew, citing "indications of military movements".

The number of casualties was not clear, it said.

Security forces opened fire on protesters at a power plant on Sunday and armoured vehicles rolled into major cities as the new army rulers faced a ninth day of anti-coup demonstrations.

"Patrolling with armoured vehicles means they are threatening people", said 46-year-old Nyein Moe, among the more than one thousand gathered in front of the bank.

In Yangon, the headquarters of Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy was surrounded by policemen and soldiers, but police and military trucks later left and a crowd of people who were also there dispersed peacefully.

They chanted "End military dictatorship" as the officers stood guard. "Now everything is settled".

"Whether it is fair or not, you can decide yourself", Khin Maung Zaw said.

Numerous country's locomotive drivers have joined the anti-coup work boycotts and have frustrated junta efforts to restart the national railway network after a Covid-19 shutdown.

A fleet of highway buses rolled slowly through the city with horns blaring, part of the biggest street protests in more than a decade.

Major winter blast to worsen, bringing risky weather across US
However, later tonight the temperature will drop below 32 degrees Farenheight, and there will be a threat of frozen precipitation. The real question is how big of a problem there will be and what form, freezing rain, sleet, or snow, the problem will manifest.

As well as Aung San Suu Kyi and Win Myint, soldiers detained chief ministers and ministers and temporarily confined newly elected MPs to their living quarters in Naypyitaw.

The envoy noted that such shutdowns "hurt key sectors, including banking, and heighten domestic tensions". The lawyer said it is unclear if he will be allowed to be present at the court or only remotely.

An armoured vehicle drives past the Sule Pagoda Sunday, following days of mass protests against the military coup. Police also arrested dozens of the young protesters, though some were later released.

The internet blackout came after another day of protests in Yangon and Mandalay, where police used slingshots against protesters and fired rubber bullets into the crowd.

Demonstrators retaliated by throwing bricks, said a rescue team member who assisted with the injured. Monitoring group NetBlocks initially said the "state-ordered information blackout" had taken Myanmar nearly entirely offline, reported AFP.

"I want more people to join the protests, we don't want to be seen as weak", said Thwe Ei Sann, a university student in the city.

According to reports, at least 420 people have been detained since the coup.

The newspaper also said the council members discussed acting against a "parallel government" established by some elected lawmakers of Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party, who were prevented from taking their seats when the military stopped Parliament from opening its session February 1.

United Nations special rapporteur Tom Andrews told AFP Monday that he did not expect Suu Kyi's court hearing to be fair.

The self-styled Committee Representing the Pyidaungsu Hluttaw has 15 members who met online and said they have enough support to convene Parliament. They accuse Beijing of propping up the military regime and applaud Washington's actions sanctioning the military.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article